What kind of resources are available locally for building?
Oceano has several community resources which include:
1. Safe storage site for building materials. We have a big leveled
site for storing your building materials while you build if you need
2. Dirt fill – if you provide a retaining wall, we can provide fill
dirt at the cost of excavating and moving it plus a small fee which
will go to the Community Fund.
3. Gravel or “Tosca” as it is known in this area. We have an active
tosca pit on the extended property and can fill our own roads as well
as driveways with this material at the cost of excavating and moving
it which is about $40 per load, which provides a mud free base for
driving and parking.
4. Fencing. We can arrange for the fencing of your property at
current local rates of you feel that you would like to fence it off.
At this time that is around $300 which would include labor, wire and
5. General maintenance of your land. We can help arrange for trimming
and cutting if at any time you find that your unimproved land is
6. Water. We currently have 2 drilled wells with great flows of
water for the community. So we have a primary well and a backup well
in place. Our geography lends itself to having great underground
water sources. Additionally, there are 3 springs on the extended
property and a stream which flows 100% of the year. We are also
nearly adjacent to the Pedregal River which is a high flow river
running year round.
7. River Rock. If you like to build and landscape using natural
smooth river rock – for small fees natural river rock is collectable
in the Pedregal River basin off the Western Flank of Oceano Community.
8. Sand – at this time it is legal and sustainably responsible to take
small loads of sand from the beach for a small fee. While not
recommended for your dwelling (although many here use it) – it can be
used in concrete mix for landscaping and outbuildings. You may also
choose to use it alone, in for landscaping.
9. Wood / Hardwoods – there are sustainably harvested hardwoods
which come from nearby. There are some local mills that can mill logs
if you are feeling adventurous and want to buy you own from local
10. Truck – we have an enormous 4×4 truck which can be utilized for a
small fee in order to distribute building materials to your site if
needed. It is a GMC C5500 with 4×4 and a flatbed.